Thursday, August 23, 2012

Marilyn with a Haitian vendor

I am always impressed by the resilience  of women. In Haiti I see them tilling fields, hauling water, selling their home-grown mangoes or yams on the side of the road, holding their families together, and on the weekends, walking proudly to church in their glittery Sunday best.

I don't know if they ever fall prey to depression or feel like giving up. What I have seen is remarkable hard work, day after day--which of course is unremarkable for them. And that inspires me to do more for them and for the future of their daughters.  As the next step, Mercy Beyond Borders will be opening a Scholars' Lodge in Gros Morne, Haiti, this month to house the young women who live too far in the mountains to get to the high school where they are on MBB scholarships.

No comments:

Post a Comment